To design innovative, accessible, easy-to-use interfaces for humans.
- Employed iterative prototyping to research, design, and test a well-received price negotiation tool for an investment banking client in less than six weeks.
- Worked with a team of five to perform research with over 200 users on four continents and synthesise it into a clearly articulated vision for an insurance placement tool.
- Planned and led the third phase of an educational web app that helped children with special educational needs become more engaged and meet learning targets.
- Worked closely with developers and BAs to design, prototype, test, and perform UX QA on a trade negotiation app for a market-making investment bank.
- Used web analytics and interviews with commuters to validate and justify a design for a mobile website that focused on regular rail passengers.
- Worked with UX, product, and engineering teams to initiate and manage a project researching the next-generation platform for Yahoo! Europe’s media properties.
- Managed a front end development team in rescuing a behind-schedule project to deliver a mobile local guide web app.
- Used web standards and progressive enhancement to develop websites and code examples for disability advocacy nonprofit Aktion Mensch.
- Founding member of the Web Standards Project.
Tobias & Tobias • Mar. 2012–Present
Planned and lead multiple concurrent design projects for clients such as Intel, Barclays, Fidelity International, First Group, and Deutsche Bank. Integrated UX with clients’ agile processes. Designed mobile, web, and desktop applications from concepts to detailed interaction frameworks. Conducted research, analysed results, and presented actionable insights to senior decision-makers. Built and tested paper and digital prototypes. Mentored junior staff. Planned and executed knowledge-sharing initiatives.
Yahoo! Europe • Sep. 2006–Sep. 2011
Managed teams responsible for the front end of Yahoo’s European media properties, rebuilding Yahoo! maps, defining and promoting front end development best practices, and rescuing at-risk development projects. Scoped work, wrote project plans, gathered requirements, and wrote specifications. Designed, user tested, and developed web interfaces for internal tools. Coordinated and built consensus among internal and external teams in Taiwan, Israel, Europe, Bangalore, and Sunnyvale. Mentored junior staff. Initiated and ran cross-training programs.
Web Standards Project • Jul. 1998–Mar. 2007
Served as project manager and volunteer coordinator during launch. Founded task forces and served on the steering committee. Wrote and edited opinion pieces and press releases. Promoted initiatives in online communities and email lists.
3Sixty Internet Ltd • Mar. 2004–Sep. 2006
Designed wireframes and site flows, performed content audits, developed personas, built web interfaces, conducted usability tests, and managed development for clients including Renault, British Airways, and ITV. Worked directly with clients to gather requirements and presented work to key decision makers. Contributed to pitches. Devised and implemented project management and development methodology.
Function New Media AG • Sep. 2001–Sep. 2002, Interface Designer
APBnews.com • Oct. 1998–Nov. 1999, Creative Director
Genoa Business Forms, Inc. • Oct. 1997–Jul. 1998, Analyst/Designer
SyForce, Inc. • May 1996–Oct. 1997, Account Manager/Designer
- Interaction, user experience, and graphic design for web, desktop, and mobile
- User-centred design methods such as personas, user journeys, contextual enquiry, and mental models
- Design deliverables such as wireframes, product maps, content models, site maps, and taxonomies
- Digital and paper prototyping
- Formal, guerrilla, and remote user research and testing
- Usability heuristic evaluation, content inventories, and competitive analysis
- Business and technical requirements capture and analysis
- Design thinking techniques including workshop planning and facilitation, interviewing, and sketching
- Integrating design with agile and Lean Startup methodologies
- Industry standard software including OmniGraffle, Photoshop, and Illustrator
Northwestern University • May 1993, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Georgetown University Law Center • Aug. 1993–Oct. 1994, Law
Northern Illinois University • Jan. 1995–Dec. 1995, Visual Communication