Research-driven designer with a talent for understanding complex problems and communicating solutions to diverse audiences. Over 20 years’ experience using strong software development knowledge, effective cross-discipline collaboration, and detail-oriented execution to deliver successful user-centric designs. Proven ability to plan and lead projects in both agile/lean and waterfall environments.
- Employed an iterative prototyping to research, design, and test a well-received price negotiation tool for a global investment bank in less than six weeks.
- Lead a team of three working with engineers and the owner to develop a monetisation strategy and redesign an iOS and Android app with 6 million active users.
- Planned and led the third phase of an educational web app that helped children with special educational needs become more engaged and meet learning targets.
- Worked with a team of five to conduct workshops and interviews with over 100 participants in 17 countries to define a vision for an insurance placement system.
- Collaborated with design, technology, and customer service to design the MVP for a feature that used analytics to inspire behaviour change in restaurant partners.
- Synthesised a heuristics review and customer workshops into tactical priorities and a strategic framework for a wholesale banking system for SMEs.
- Combined web analytics, competitive analysis, and interviews with commuters to design a mobile website that focused on regular rail passengers.
- Worked with editorial, product, and engineering teams to initiate and manage a project researching the next-generation platform for Yahoo! Europe’s media sites.
- Managed an agile front end development team in rescuing a behind-schedule project to deliver a mobile local guide web app..
Just Eat • Dec. 2016–Apr. 2017
Worked in a multi-disciplinary team to design tools for restaurant partners and customer service representatives. Identified and collaborated with stakeholders across the business. Planned and lead workshops. Performed generative and validation research. Defined KPIs. Created lean personas, user journeys, and mental models. Designed visuals and interactions based on in-house style guide.
Tobias & Tobias • Mar. 2012–Dec. 2016
Planned and lead multiple concurrent design projects for clients such as Intel, Fidelity International, Barclays, Lloyds Bank, and Deutsche Bank. Designed mobile, web, and desktop applications from concepts to detailed specifications. Conducted research, analysed results, and presented insights to senior decision-makers. Integrated UX with clients’ agile processes. Built and tested paper and digital prototypes. Mentored junior staff. Planned and executed knowledge-sharing initiatives.
Yahoo! Europe • Sep. 2006–Sep. 2011
Managed teams responsible for the front end of Yahoo’s European media properties, rebuilding Yahoo! maps, defining and promoting front end development best practices, and rescuing at-risk development projects. Scoped work, wrote project plans, gathered requirements, and wrote specifications. Designed, user tested, and developed web interfaces for internal tools. Coordinated and built consensus among internal and external teams in Taiwan, Israel, Europe, Bangalore, and Sunnyvale. Mentored junior staff. Initiated and ran cross-training programs.
Web Standards Project • Jul. 1998–Mar. 2007
Served as project manager and volunteer coordinator during launch. Founded task forces and served on the steering committee. Wrote and edited opinion pieces and press releases. Promoted initiatives in online communities and email lists.
3Sixty Internet Ltd • Mar. 2004–Sep. 2006
Designed wireframes and site flows, performed content audits, developed personas, built web interfaces, conducted usability tests, and managed development for clients including Renault, British Airways, and ITV.
Function New Media AG • Sep. 2001–Sep. 2002, Interface Designer
APBnews.com • Oct. 1998–Nov. 1999, Creative Director
Genoa Business Forms, Inc. • Oct. 1997–Jul. 1998, Analyst/Designer
SyForce, Inc. • May 1996–Oct. 1997, Account Manager/Designer
- Interaction, user experience, and graphic design for web, desktop, and mobile
- User-centred design tools such as personas, user journeys, and mental models
- Design thinking techniques including workshop planning and facilitation, journey mapping, divergence/convergence, iteration, and sketching
- Creating and presenting design deliverables including wireframes, concept models, product maps, content models, site maps, build guides, and taxonomies
- Research methods including contextual inquiry, interviewing, heuristic evaluation, competitor analysis, and formal–, guerrilla–, and remote user testing
- Prototyping with paper, code, or dedicated software
- Gathering and analysis of business, stakeholder, and technical requirements
- Methodologies including agile, kanban, lean, waterfall, Jobs to be Done, and Google design sprints
- Industry-standard software such as Axure, Sketch, InVision, OmniGraffle, Keynote, Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and Illustrator
Northwestern University • May 1993, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Georgetown University Law Center • Aug. 1993–Oct. 1994, Law
Northern Illinois University • Jan. 1995–Dec. 1995, Visual Communication